Root Canals -- Clintonville, OH
Comfortable and Effective Therapy for Your Smile
As your trusted dentist, we know the best way to keep your smile healthy for a lifetime is to help you keep your natural teeth for as long as possible. In cases of severe tooth decay or serious injury, we here at Creative Smiles may recommend a root canal in Clintonville. This common restorative procedure offers a way to alleviate pain and preserve the tooth for years to come. Keep reading to learn more about how it works and what you can expect if you need a root canal.
When Is a Root Canal Necessary?
A root canal may be the recommended treatment for a variety of cases. The indicator for this procedure is if the tooth’s pulp -- or the soft tissue that lives within the tooth, often called the “nerve” -- has been affected. Your dentist will take X-rays to determine if tooth decay or injury has reached the interior layer of pulp. If so, a root canal will likely be scheduled during a follow-up appointment.
Some of the issues that a root canal can treat include:
- An untreated cavity
- Serious toothache
- Tooth abscess
- A broken tooth
- A damaged dental crown or other restoration
What to Expect from a Root Canal
If you need a root canal, we will usually schedule two visits to complete the entire procedure. The surgery typically happens in the first visit, and you return to our office after a brief healing period to complete the treatment.
A root canal takes place in a series of steps:
- First, we will administer anesthesia and sedation to ensure you are completely relaxed -- and that you remain this way throughout the duration of the procedure. We promise that you won’t feel a thing during a root canal at Creative Smiles!
- After we have confirmed that you are comfortable and that your jaw is fully numb, the procedure will begin. Your dentist will create a small access hole in the back or chewing surface of the tooth and remove the diseased pulp with a special tool.
- Once the interior of the tooth is hollow, the root canals are sanitized and reshaped.
- A biocompatible material known as gutta percha is used to refill the now-empty root canals.
- A temporary filling or crown is placed on top of the tooth and healing begins.
- You return to our office for a follow-up appointment in which the permanent restoration is placed on top of the tooth.
- And that’s it! A successful root canal can last for many years.
Learn More Today
If you have a tooth that is severely decayed or damaged, do not wait to seek treatment. The situation will not improve on its own -- but a root canal from your dentist in Clintonville can help rescue the tooth and ensure that your smile stays healthy for the long-haul. You are invited to contact Creative Smiles to book a consultation today!